Tuesday 28 October 2014

Momtrepreneur, what’s your Elevator Speech?




Soon after I quit my job, I used to be at a loss of words, when someone asked me, “So, What do you do?”
Umm, I’m currently on a break, or I’m starting my own venture now, Or I’m just taking a break, were some of my replies.
However, I felt none of them did justice to what I was really doing. I was following my passion and launching my own venture in the field of Life Coaching and Transformational Workshops.
That’s when I decided, It was time to make my Elevator speech.

Whether you are a Mommy or a Momtrepreneur, you can have your own Elevator speech.
What is an Elevator speech? Well , for discovering the meaning, we simply have to look at the two words. Elevator and Speech.



Imagine, you had a high profile meeting with a client, on whom depended a lot of business. But he/she was a busy person. So he/she only gives you 30 seconds of his time, in which to make a pitch. Or the time taken to go from the ground floor in an elevator till the top. What would you say to him/her so that they would say the three magic words,

  “TELL ME MORE”



Imagine, you happen to meet someone at a party, and they ask you,” So, What do you do?
Your reply could provide fodder for a very interesting discussion or just turn into a boring rambling talk.

We surely can’t encompass what we do in a mere 30 seconds, but we can give a powerful preview which can generate curiosity in your prospective client.

A good elevator speech gets the other person to say , “WOW, Tell me more!”

My first elevator speech was something like this:


I am an Executive and Life Coach. I help people transform their lives by tapping into the power of their thoughts, to achieve their highest potential.

It still evolves every day, and I have landed many a workshop assignment or a training/teaching job by having my elevator speech ready.
Your Elevator speech can enhance or decrease your own feeling of Self-Worth too.
Now, If you are thinking, But I am a stay at home mom, and how can I make an Elevator Speech.

I’m a stay-at-home Mom, I’m a housewife, Well, I don’t do anything, I am at home.

These are some the replies one commonly hears, when one talks to a Stay-at-home Mom. Again, none of them do justice to what Stay-at-home Moms do. Here’s an example of an elevator speech of a Stay-at-home Mom.


I help shape my children’s lives, by instilling in them, the values of honesty, independence, and self-discipline. I love being a Mom 24X7, and multitasking is my second name!

 I am in no way asking you to glamourize, or romanticise what you do. But Say it like it is.
An elevator speech gives other people a true glimpse of what you do. It not only inspires you, but it also inspires others.



So, Are you ready to make your own elevator speech??



Read ten tips to make an excellent elevator speech here.

No comments:

Post a Comment