Saturday 29 August 2015

Interviews with Momtrepreneurs- The Artist behind- Indian Ocean by Shailly


Keeping in tandem with the theme of this blog, I am pleased to kick off a series of interviews with momtrepreneurs. Each month, this blog will feature a woman just like you and me, who is doing a balancing act of managing her own venture and her family. I do hope you enjoy reading and getting inspired from these wonderful women. If you are a momtrepreneur and would like to be featured on this blog, write in at momtrepreneurishere@gmail.com and I would be happy to interview you!




“Art is a creative process, but it’s more about problem solving!” 

This is just one of the interesting nuggets; one gets in a chat with Shailly Gupta- our featured Momtrepreneur for this month.

An MBA turned artist turned creative traveller, is what I would like to call her, but she doesn’t get caught in the labels. She just enjoys her journey too much to get bogged down in the details of what she does.

I first met Shailly, when she attended my Meditation circle. I didn’t have the chance to talk to her at length then, but was later intrigued by her Facebook page- Indian Ocean. She is an artist, and I fell in love with her clutches /purses that were inspired by her own wearable art. That’s when I decided to go down to her studio, and take a closer look at her designs.

I loved her contemporary take on art, and the fact that she didn’t take herself seriously. She loved what she did, and that was that.

She calls this her secondlife.com. Her first avatar was in the corporate world in the field of MBA and Marketing.

The path hasn’t been easy. Her quest for learning art appreciation led her to paint, and the rest as they say is history! She overcame many obstacles such as language barriers in classes, spending the whole day in hot studios, and the fact that her institute wasn’t even ready to give her a certificate.

Read on to know more about her, as we chat with this creative Momtrepreneur, about her life, art, and her journey.

When someone asks you, so what do you do? What are you most likely to say?

I am most likely to say that I have fun. I am busy trying to keep myself busy. It’s only if the conversation gets longer that I say, “Oh by the way I paint and have this small studio where I am trying to experiment with some other stuff too!”


Is there a story behind the name of your venture (Indian Ocean by Shailly)? If yes, please share

I wanted to have a name that represented colour, earth, nature (geography is my favourite subject).
I researched, toyed with some names, took feedback from friends but I was not in love with them.
Then somehow Indian Ocean came along and I just stuck to it. I didn't even ask anybody. It made total sense to me. It had geography, it had India, it was international enough, it was grand and it had all shades of Blue- my favourite colour.

How long were you a stay at home mom or working before getting into your new venture? Was it easy or difficult to make the transition?

Post our shift to Kuala Lumpur, I had already taken a break from work and then we were blessed with Ananya -my daughter. There was no room, time, and need for anything else. I used to take her to a play gym and there is where I found this studio which taught painting. I decided to give it a go while she played.

I painted my first painting- it was absolutely my first creation...  well second... And it gave me an immense sense of being. 

During the same time I even worked for an International company for a year but I realised that I was having much more fun painting and so I got back to it full time. I joined school for a course in Art. I went there for 2 years. The average age of the class was 17, but the teachers were great and I had an absolutely great time- learning and creating. It was like a second life- totally different from what I had done so far.

It was never really difficult as I took things at my pace and girls grow up very fast. At 7, Ananya already checks with me how many paintings I made and how many bags got sold.



What was the turning point when you decided to launch Indian Ocean?


No turning point as such, I just kept walking... 

A school mom bought my first painting. I was thrilled. I always thank her for that.

Luckily I found a studio close enough to my home and it gave me the space, confidence and Need to try more things. 

So what happened next?

One thing I was sure of was that I wanted to do something which was related to Art. Things which I will like to use/carry myself. The bags are an extension of my art as they carry prints of my painting and I even hand-paint some of them.
Luckily I found a great team to deliver them. I experimented with few bags, my friends liked them, and got some more, joined the bazaars, and went online. Things kept happening. Bags have also helped me to spread the word about my Art and lot of my clients visit my studio for them.


What is your core qualification? And is your venture related to that? If not, what learnings did you take from it to implement in your own business?



I am a commerce graduate from JMC DU and PGDBM from IMI Delhi. I believe everything is related so I am sure I am consciously or sub consciously am using what I learnt there. It might not be the studies per se; it could be learnings from the environment, friends, teachers anything. We learn continuously and we implement effortlessly.



Did you have any fears while starting your venture after a break/ salaried job? What were they? And how did you get over them?


Not really. I took it as a new phase in life something that gave me a chance to explore experiment and create. Moreover it suited my lifestyle and gave me time and flexibility. 

I did miss work a lot, especially when I met my old colleagues, but it really helped when they told me that they would any day trade work with what I was able to do with my time.

How do you manage your home and the venture?

I don’t take either too seriously... and that works!


Who/ what inspires you?
Learning... Thinking... Talking... Walking.. Seeing... Being Alive... 

One secret you would like to share which can make another Momtrepreneurs journey easier.
There will moments of self-doubt. There will be criticism. Don't be too sensitive. Show commitment and things will fall in place.

One business mantra you would like every Momtrepreneur to know?


Be professional, be receptive, be organised, maintain journal to record ideas, appointments, and money dealings. Follow up!

What's your vision for your venture?

My vision is for myself and not for my venture as such. The venture is a part of it. I want a multifaceted life which room for everyone. I want to create an ambience which promotes new ideas and encourages experimentation.



Your motto for yourself: 


Raah pakad tu ek chala chal, mil jayegi Madhushala.... 


(Stick to your path- you will find what you are looking for)

And 

Think! There must be a better way!


What’s your advice for someone who wants to do something different, but is unsure of taking the first step?


First of all take the first step... you will be 0nly 50% unsure of taking the second step- take the second step- you will be only 25% unsure this time... Taking steps is a progression of getting Sure!

Next Destination for Indian Ocean?

I want Indian Ocean to become even more International, and I want to learn Art in Paris. For me, the destination is to learn continuously, and create opportunities. Who knows, I may even give up painting and experiment in something else!! (Laughs)

Thanks Shailly for taking the time to chat with us- unplugged and for sharing your take on creativity, art, and Indian Ocean. We hope you keep adding colour to our life, our walls and our wardrobes, and more power to you!

Shailly is the Founder and Artist of Indian Ocean by Shailly.

She is currently based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

You can know more about her by visiting her pages below:


No comments:

Post a Comment